Skip to content

Jack’s First Trip to the ER

July 10, 2011

I always envisioned our first trip to the ER would be for stitches. Or maybe because Jack got a pea stuck in his nose.

This was not the case last night.

Jack’s been congested for a couple weeks; it started out as nothing, but progressed. He was actually a little congested when he had his check up a couple weeks ago and the doctor said nothing. I didn’t think too much about it and thought it’d pass.

Long story short, he’d gotten to where he sounded like he was snoring when he was wide awake playing. And, at night, he would stop breathing for 3-5 seconds while he was sleeping, then would gasp for air and start snoring again every couple of minutes. It sounded horrible and was extremely scary.

So, we went took him to Children’s Hospital last night per doctor’s orders.

He hated putting the gown on, but he was so darn cute in it!

His lungs are great. His tonsils, however, are massive and blocking his airway. They’re not sure if they’re swollen from the viral infection or if he always has large tonsils. I don’t know either, no one’s even mentioned that to me.

Exhausted and scared.

I’m taking him to his regular doctor this week and hope to get a clearer picture of what’s going on and to see if we need a referral to an ENT.

Last night’s experience wasn’t like I pictured; the waiting room wasn’t jam packed of screaming kids and we weren’t there for hours. In fact, we were there for less than 2 hours and the staff was so kind and patient.

As we were checking out, we saw a tiny baby lying on a hospital bed hooked to tubes and machines and the mother was outside the door crying, while the dad was closely talking to the baby. It was a very painful picture, even if we don’t know what was going on.

It made me thankful that we were able to take our child home with us and that it’s nothing too serious.

We crashed when we got home. It was a very emotionally and physically draining night. Jack slept til 9. And right now, he’s taking a 5 hour nap and hasn’t woken up yet and it’s 7PM. I guess he’s sleeping it off.

the end.

PS: On a lighter note, I was a little disappointed our experience didn’t look anything like Seattle Grace Hospital and there was no McDreamy to be found. Or McSteamy, for that matter.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. Nana permalink
    July 10, 2011 8:17 pm

    Get well soon, Jack!!!


  1. Goodbye, Tonsils & Adenoids | ashley davis {the blog}

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: