Skip to content

Full Circle

March 12, 2010

Looks like I spoke too soon about Jack being on the road to recovery. I must’ve jinxed it by blogging about it.

Thankfully, before anything went down, I had a chance to get out of the house for a while to hit up Hobby Lobby with Samanatha, then go for a run outside. I felt so refreshed by the time I got home!

Long story short about last night, his fever got to 103 again, so I called the nurse. He didn’t really go to bed til 12:30!

I’ve never seen him look so bad. He couldn’t breathe through his nose, so his mouth just hung open, with those rosy cheeks and droopy eyes. I felt so bad for him!

So, cartoons in our bed, medicine, a short bath to sponge him off, then some pedialyte. Then came the crying that wouldn’t stop. We took turns trying to console him.

Around midnight I thought maybe he was hungry. Half a banana, a couple graham crackers, and some Cheerios later, he was ready to sleep. I laid him in bed and quickly ran to my bed so I could get every drop of sleep.

4 am rolls around. Nothing we did made the crying stop. Bottle, sippy cup, TV, rocking, walking around, etc.

45 minutes of this and I remembered a story that I think I didn’t imagine about my brother-in-law driving my nephew around late one night and possibly sleeping in the car in the garage with him so he could sleep in the carseat.

So, I grabbed the keys and a blanket and Jack and I drove around the neighborhood at 5 am. It only took 10 minutes til I could hear him snoring.

I’m not man enough to sleep in the car with him like Dustin did, so I left him there. No, thats not true. I took him to his bed and didn’t hear a peep til 9:30 this morning.

Whats weird is that at one point when Jack was screaming and I was changing his diaper, I starting thinking, “I can’t do this. I’m too tired. I can’t go through another night like this. I’m about to break.” But I remembered that he’s just sick and he’ll be back to normal soon.

The thing is, I remember having those exact thoughts when Jack was a newborn, just a little over a year ago. I felt so on edge from exhaustion and being unsure that I was doing the right things. And even though everyone told me that stage would pass, I didn’t believe them because it felt like it was dragging on forever.

Now I know they were right. It didn’t last forever. There is sleep to be had. And I can do this. And I’ll do it again the next time he can’t sleep.

And I’m glad it’s morning. Almost every morning when Jack was itty-bitty, I’d wake up and realize that morning meant we made it through another night and it was over!

3 Comments leave one →
  1. March 12, 2010 11:48 am

    way to go mom. You’re doing a great job. Breeson didn’t have the high temps, but he had a HORRIBLE cold when we were in Kansas. So i know how you feel. He too couldn’t breathe through his nose, plus he lost his voice and so when he cried it was pitiful. Although, it did make for quieter nights!! 🙂 I’m a bad mom for saying that. hee hee.

  2. Dustin permalink
    March 12, 2010 7:28 pm

    I’m glad to see that my AWESOME parenting skills have helped
    you in some way.

  3. Cammie permalink
    March 12, 2010 7:30 pm

    You didn’t imagine that! Crazy isn’t it? Dustin really did sleep in the garage
    with Carter. WOW, we’ve come aloooonnnngggg way! You already know
    that but it all passes. My little NO sleeper now sleeps so good. Hard to imagine
    there was once a time we had to drive around and were too afraid to move
    him out of his carseat!
    Love ya,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: