Skip to content


March 31, 2009

Getting ready to leave Friday morning was surreal. It felt like we were going on a trip since we were up so early and packing our luggage.

We got settled into our room at the hospital around 6:45 or so. I got my IV and the doctor broke my water. I started having contractions before the pitocin was even started, so I assumed things would move quickly.

By 9:30, it was time for my epidural. I was told this would be the end of the worst for me. Not so much. There were so many people in the room that it seemed crazy and hectic. I was informed that I moved (which I still deny) and that he wasn’t able to put it in straight and had to go around something or another. Very comforting, right?

I started feeling drowsy and didn’t feel my contractions, but by noon, I knew it was time for a boost because I started feeling a lot of pain and pressure.

They did some little standard tests to check and sure enough, it was as if I didn’t even have an epidural. I could feel my legs just fine, I felt everything on my stomach-hot and cold, and I could surely feel my contractions that were five-seven minutes apart.

They gave the boost. A few minutes later, my hands and arms got numb and tingly. And I’m shaking all over as if I’m freezing, but I’m not. (I’ve heard this is normal just from all the meds hooked up,etc.) And I’m still feeling the contractions.

I voice my complaints about the pain, so they send another anesthesiologist in with another type of medicine. They hook it up and I feel ok for about ten minutes, but then I feel everything just as if I have no pain medicine. He said he didn’t want to give me anything more because too much and I wouldn’t be able to push. Uh, what!?

The contractions were horrible. Jack’s head was pushing on my pubic bone causing even more pressure than normal. I was also put on oxygen because Jack’s heart rate got extremely low during my contractions.

It was great to hear the doctor’s voice when he finally came in the room to deliver! The next thing I know, I push a few times, and Jack was being held up in front of us. Reid and I kept looking at each other crying out of relief that it was over and that he was here. I hope I remember that moment forever.

I was talking with someone else about it later and I think when we go through something like that, we think we’re the only ones who have ever felt that way and no one else has ever gone through this. I felt like that. And swore I’d never have children again.

Honestly, though, I can’t complain. I’ve gone back and forth about even putting this story on my blog because it could have been worse. And, I’ve had a pretty fair trade off– my recovery has been fabulous.

My labor wasn’t that long (7 am-3:39) and I only pushed for 30 minutes. A dear friend of mine pushed for 2 1/2 hours! Labor and delivery are just hard and/or different for everyone. And I could probably be persuaded to have another one after looking at Jack. Have you seen this kid, he’s amazing!

I didn’t expect this, but I’ve never felt as close to Reid as I have since this whole experience on Friday. Reid was with me during everything and helped take care of me, even if it was just wiping my forehead with a washcloth or holding my hand to cry with me. I couldn’t have asked for more. And then getting to see our son together for the first time, well, there are no words that can describe it.

3 Comments leave one →
  1. Holly permalink
    March 31, 2009 2:24 pm

    Hooray! Jack’s here…and you guys made it through. I’m so happy to hear that it brought you and Reid closer. There’s just something about when you go through stuff like that together…it makes you stronger. I love you guys! (And yes, Jack’s definitely a cutie. I love that kid, too!)

  2. April 1, 2009 3:38 am

    oh geez…i’m glad i’m not pregnant.

    j/k – thanks for the reassurance (towards the bottom) Ash. I’m hanging on to that hope. 🙂


  1. I Wish You Wisdom, I Wish You Years | ashley davis {the blog}

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: